What if the driver at fault does not have insurance?

In this circumstance, your own insurance company, through your “Uninsured Motorist coverage” steps in and provides coverage to the driver at fault. In effect, your insurance company becomes the insurance company for the driver at fault.

There are 3 questions I am regularly asked about Uninsured Motorist protection:

Question 1. Do I have this type of coverage on my policy? Answer: If you have liability coverage, you automatically have Uninsured Motorist coverage in the same amount as your “Liability” coverage. For instance, if you have “Liability” coverage for $50,000 per person/$100,000 per accident, this means that you have Uninsured Motorist coverage in the amount of $50,000 per person/$100,000 per accident. One reason why some people have their agent raise their Liability coverage is because they will have added protection against an uninsured driver.

Question 2. What does Uninsured Motorist coverage cover? Answer: Uninsured Motorist coverage only pertains to your personal injuries. It does not cover your car damage. In order to cover your car damage, you can make a claim against your “Collision” coverage and your deductible will apply. That is why it is important to consult with an injury lawyer because you must make a full and fair recovery on your personal injury claim to help make up for your deductible charge.

Question 3. Will my insurance premiums increase because I am making a claim against my own insurance company? Answer: Your premiums will not increase because you recover on an Uninsured Motorist claim. In fact, your insurance company may eventually file suit and obtain a judgment against the adverse driver in an attempt to be reimbursed.

A claim on your Uninsured Motorist coverage is just like any other insurance claim. If you are facing this situation, legal representation may be necessary. Contact Attorney Doug Horn for free consultation and investigation.