Driver Safety in Missouri High Schools
To strengthen teen driver protection in Missouri, I am recommending that Missouri school districts implement a sustained, comprehensive driver safety program. The primary purposes of such a program will be to reduce the types of teen driver collisions that cause serious injury and fatalities and set driving standards and expectations that will allow young and inexperienced drivers to cultivate a safer approach to driving.
Drive By Example
Drive By Example is a teen driver safety communications platform that is a perfect fit for high school application because it:
- is built on a clear, concise, and memorable driver safety message to Adrive by example – alert, bucked, and cautious;
- is designed to be a sustained campaign of indefinite duration that will keep driver safety high on the student consciousness
- addresses multiple teen driving safety priorities, including the reduction of distracted, reckless, and impaired driving;
- emphasizes a defensive driving approach that is centered on the protection of teen drivers and their passengers;
- encourages a higher driving standard, personal responsibility, and student leadership.
High School Driving Safety Education
Also, in conjunction with the implementation of Drive By Example, I am also advocating that school districts enhance the high school health education curriculum by incorporating driver safety education as part of the general health education requirements. While traditional ADriver=s Ed@ is no longer feasible from a cost standpoint, driving safety education addresses a vital public safety concern and can be easily included over 5-10 weeks within the high school’s 9th and 10th grade health studies course work.
In order to assist high schools in gearing up to offer driver safety education instruction, Drive By Example’s model high school program includes a driver safety education course outline that gives students a solid foundation in driver safety, including instruction on safe driving habits and behaviors, vehicle safety, important aspects of automobile insurance, and emergency/accident procedures.